The road to becoming a DB2 DBA
Creating a new DB in DB2 on Windows 7
June 14, 2011Posted by on
After I fixed the problem with the registry key (see previous post) I had to continue where I left off; I had to create a database. I didn’t want anything fancy so I just took the default parameters. Here’s how:
- Open the Control center (IBM DB2 -> DB2COPY1 -> General Administration tools -> Control center) and choose Basic view (Advanced view works just as fine)
- Right click on All Databases then from the menu choose Create database -> Standard…
- Now fill the form
- The database name and alias can not be longer than 8 characters
- You can use the default path, it’s probably your best bet, but if you’re running low on disk space on that certain drive, feel free to choose a different one. If you have your registry key properly configured, that is…
- I just went with the default installation, kept clicking Next and Finish and everything went fine. I suggest the same to every rookie.
I will get back this process at some point, because there’s plenty to discover here. I just don’t want to waste any more time on the isntallation at the moment.